emmaw.bmp 78.0 K

Emma Louise Glenn Webb

(wedding picture 1880)

nchard.bmp 75.3 K

Richard William Webb

(wedding picture 1880)


Emma Henschel and Louis Larson

( wedding picture 1895)

genealogical material on the four families

Special Note There are parallels in the histories of the Webb-Glenn families and the Larson-Henschel families. The easy one is that both my grandmothers were named Emma. A small coincidence.

But more than that, all of the grandparents came west either as individuals or as a family. All were of recent immigrant stock: two were children of immigrants and one an immigrant himself. Only Emma Louise Glenn could claim her grandfather, John Glenn, was born in the United States. They were in the main stream of their age. A part of a restless generation ready to move on to opportunity, forced to go West for jobs or land.

They were probably afraid to give up close family situations, but they did it, and they prospered. Its seems to me that if we are equipped at all to handle this moment in time, if we have the will to persevere and the values to make the struggle worthwhile, it is surely in part their legacy of courage and determination that makes it possible.



1. Webb Family History by Richard E. Webb and other Family Members

2. Glenn Family History

GLENN HISTORY by Blanche Glenn Lantis and Richard E. Webb

3. Larson Family History

LARSON HISTORY by Anna Tuttle and Richard E. Webb

4. Henschel Family History

HENSCHEL HISTORY from the recollection of Emma Larson


Return to HOMEPAGE Table of Contents





The immigrant, Richard Webb, was baptized September 7, 1818, at Stowerton (now spelled Stourton), Warwickshire, England. His birth to Margaret and Walter Webb is recorded in the Cherington Parish Register for Baptisms 1812-1894, page 10, No. 76. He was baptized at St. John's church. His father, Walter, was listed of "Stowerton, Farmer". His father, according to the Parish Regis ter was baptized January 7, 1770 and was the son of Walter and Anne Webb. The tombstones at St. Michael's church in Whichford Parish 4 miles from Stourton record the dates of birth and death of two generations before Walter and Ann.

There is, I believe, sufficient data to connect a continuous line from Nicholas and his widow, Joane, who in 1680 bought the land and house in which Walter and Margaret were living in 1805.

We may conclude all the Webbs of Stourton are probably descended from Robert Webbe, a tenant of the Manor of Cherington in 1510, however they almost certainly go back at least 150 years before that since the Lucy Family, lords of the manor of Cherington on which the Webbs were living in 1510, date from 1350.

The Manor of Cherington easily dates from the Norman Conquest in 1066 because of the two Norman churches and it is known to have been in the hands of John de Wylington before the Lucys came into the estate in 1350.

Richard Webb (9-7-1818 to 11-10-1897) immigrated to the United States in 1845 and as far as we know went directly to Michigan. On January 14, 1847, he married Ann Marshall (died 7-6-1880), a Scottish immigrant from Glasgow. Ann's father, Archibald Marshall, came from Scotland with his family and settled in Unadilla, Michigan, in 1836.

Richard and Ann were living, perhaps on the Marshall farm when at least their five oldest children were born. Records indicate that the two children born after 1865, George Marshall and Lucy A., were born at North Lake. This is consistent with Richard's acquisition of the Watts Farm at North Lake in 1865 for $2,300. Ann Marshall died in 1880. Three years later Richard married Janette Marshall, Ann's

sister. Janette died after 1923.

Richard was a wheelwright in Stratford when he lived in Stourton and walked the four miles morning and night to his work making wagon wheels. We do not know if he practiced his trade in Michigan, but we know he had acquired enough capital to acquire the Watts Farm in 1865 and presumably took up farming at that time. He left England when he was 27 years old and never returned.

Tombstone inscriptions at St. Michael's which were legible in 1956 are transcribed below:

"Sacred to the memory of Walter Webb of Stowerton he died Jan 19th 1819 aged 50 yrs. Also of Ann, daughter of Walter and Margaret Webb, his wife. She died July 30, 1814, in the 2 year of her age. With patience I have run my race and death has

made me free."

A neighboring tombstone inscription reads:

"Walter Webb died April 2, 1796 aged 85 years Elizabeth, his wife, died 1801 age 83.

Walter Webb died July 17, 1821 age 77. Ann Webb, wife, who died Apr 9, 1823 age 71

. Bibliography:

Return to Table of Contents


(Ed and Eda Webb bought a cottage on North Lake in Michigan in the 1960's. The information below is based on the abstract of title obtained by them at that time since the lot was on a portion of the Watts farm which Richard Webb owned at the time of his death in 1897.)

The original Government Patent to the land at North Lake which Richard Webb owned and which is at present owned by his son George M. Webb (in 1957), was taken up by one Alfred Bruce. The patent was dated October 28, 1835, recorded October 6, 1926, Liber 247 of Deeds, page 418, township of Dexter, County of Washtenaw, Michigan. The property came into Richard Webb's hands by warranty deed dated April 10, 1865, knowledged April 10, 1865 and recorded April 12, 1865. (Liber 57 of Deeds, page 52, for the consideration of $2,300.)

Deeded by Richard McClain and Julia McClain, his wife, to Richard Webb, the land conveyed consisted of "the east half of the southeast quarter and the south half of the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of Section Number Eighteen, (and other land) in Township Number One south of Range Number 4 East in the State of Michigan, containing one hundred and eighty acres of land, more or less. The above is subject to a certain mortgage bearing date February 14, 1863, given by Richard McClain to Lyman D. James of the sum of $2,000.00 the same stands on record." The discharge of the mortgage is recorded on the margin of Liber 30 of Mortgages, on page 412. Richard Webb and Ann, his wife, mortgaged the property July 24, 1879, to Timothy R. Tuomey for the consideration of $1,000. The mortgage was discharged July 26, 1880.

Richard Webb died November 10, 1897. His last will is recorded as follows:

"In the matter of the estate of Richard Webb, deceased. Probate File No. 8050 Petition for probate of will, filed November 19, 1897, made by George Benton, executor of the will of said deceased, shows that said deceased died November 10th, 1897; that said deceased at the time of his death was an inhabitant of the County of Washtenaw and was possessed of real and personal estate situated in the County of Washtenaw to be administered of the estimated value of five hundred dollars or thereabouts of personal estate and fifteen thousand dollars or thereabouts of real estate and that the names of the heirs at law of said deceased are as follows: Jennette Webb, Walter J. Webb, Anna C. Stevenson, Richard W. Webb, Maggie L. Hyde, Elizabeth Benton, Jennette G. Pratt, Jane M. Glenn, Lucy A. Sweeney and George M. Webb and asks that said will be allowed and admitted to probate and that administration of said estate granted to George Benton the executor named in said will or to some other suitable person.

Will filed November 19, 1897:

I, Richard Webb of the township of Lyndon, County of Washtenaw and State of Michigan being about seventy-eight years of age and of sound and disposing mind and memory do make, publish and declare this to be my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me at any time heretofore made; that is to say:

First. I desire all my just debts and expenses of my last sickness and funeral to be paid out of my estate.

Second. I give and bequeath to my wife, Janette Webb all my household goods and furniture in our present house on the Watts farm and one hundred and fifty dollars for her support during the settlement of my estate and a life estate in the farm on which we now live known as the Watts farm in the townships of Lyndon and Dexter containing one hundred and ninety acres, more or less, which shall be in full for all her interest in my property.

Third. I give and bequeath to my daughter Anna Steven son one hundred dollars and her equal share with the other heirs in the household goods which belonged to my first wife and now at the residence of my son George Webb, which shall be in full for all her interest in my estate.

Fourth. I desire the note I hold against my son Walter J. Webb and Frank, his wife, for six hundred and sixteen dollars and two cents and interest to be a part of my estate and to be discharged to my son Walter as so much of his interest in my estate and the note returned to him for its face and interest on his share when the estate is divided.

Fifth. All the rest and residue of my property include ing said note both real and personal and mixed I desire to be divided equally between Walter J. Webb, Richard W. Webb, Magarette L. Hyde, Jane M. Glenn, Elizabeth A. Benton, Janette G. Pratt, Lucy A. Sweeney and George M. Webb, the balance of my children, share and share alike. These are also to share alike with Anna Stevenson in the household goods as they can all agree which are at George M. Webb's.

Sixth. I hereby nominate and appoint my son-in- law, George Benton sole executor of this my last will and testament.

Seventh. I wish to be buried beside my first wife in the North Lake Cemetery.

In witness whereof I the said Richard Webb have to this my last will and testament consisting of one sheet of paper subscribed my name and affixed my seal this 17th day of March, 1897.

(Signed) Richard X Webb (Seal) his mark

(Witnessed) D. B. Taylor

H. S. Holmes

After due publication in the Dexter Leader, a newspaper printed and circulated in the County of Washtenaw the will was approved, allowed and established as the last and testament of said deceased and that execution of the will was granted to George Benton. Order that bond in the sum of two thousand dollars be filed. Robert C. Glenn and Frank C. Burkhart were appointed appraisers and the executor was allowed one year from May 25th 1898 in which to dispose of the estate and pay the debts of the deceased.

Warrant and inventory, filed December 31st, 1897 describes: The east half of the south east one fourth and south one half of south east one fourth of the north east one fourth of section eighteen Dexter Township (and other lands) -- total inventory real estate $15,300.00 and personal $1,540.70. Petition by Janet Webb, widow, for allowance, filed January 21, 1898 asks for the sum of twelve dollars per week allowance. Court allowed seven.

Claim of notice of appeal from the order of Judge of Probate allowing and admitting to Probate the paper purporting to be a last will and testament of said deceased, filed July 18, 1898, appeal made by Anna C. Stevenson an heir at law of said deceased.

Election of Janet Webb, widow, rejecting provisions of the will of said deceased therein in her behalf and electing to be endowed of the lands of which her said husband died seized the same as if her husband had died intestate and to take of the personal property of which said deceased died possessed the statutory allowances and the sum or share of the same as would have passed to her under the statute of distribution had the testator died intestate.

Order allowing claims, filed November 25, 1898 shows claims in the sum of one hundred and eighty six dollars and forty seven cents allowed.

Petition for license to sell real estate to pay debts, expenses and charges, filed January 7, 1899 made by George Benton, execu tor, shows that the personal estate that came into his hands amounts to fourteen hundred dollars and that the outstanding debts will amount to the sum of about seven hundred dollars and that the expenses of administration will amount to the sum of fifteen hundred dollars or thereabouts; Final account, filed January 9, 1902. Account shows that the funeral charges, expenses of last sickness and expenses of administration, have been paid and shows that all real estate remains to be assigned to the heirs at law of said deceased. The decree of Assignment is dated July 8, 1902 and recites: That all the debts and funeral charges together with the expenses of administration have been fully paid.

And it further appearing that Jannette Webb, Anna Stevenson, George M. Webb, Walter J. Webb, Richard W. Webb, Magarette L. Hyde, Jane M. Webb, Elizabeth A. Benton, Lucy A. Sweeney and Janet G. Pratt are the sole legatees and devisees of said de ceased and of the real estate of said deceased there remains the whole thereof situate in the State of Michigan to be assigned to the said devisees and legatees according to the last will and testament of said deceased. It is ordered, adjudged and decreed by the Court, that said real estate the whole thereof be and the same is hereby assigned to the said devisees and legatees accord ing to said last will. The appeal of Anna C. Stevenson was denied. The Circuit Court for the County of Washtenaw upheld the Probate Court admitting to Probate the Will of Richard Webb, deceased.

Janet Webb quit claimed her share to the heirs April 1, 1899. "The said grantor hereby conveying all of her right of dower in and to all the above described lands as the widow of Richard Webb, late of Washtenaw County, deceased, and hereby conveying all her right of dower in and to all the lands and tenements of which said Richard Webb died seized, whether covered by said descriptions of land or not." (The consideration of this deed is $1.00 and other valuable consideration, a certain real estate mortgage of even date herewith to secure to the grantor the payment of $87.50 semiannually during the natural life of said Janet Webb.")

James Taylor attached Richard W. Webb's undivided one seventh interest in the land December 18, 1900.

Payment in full was recorded February 5, 1901.

Richard W. Webb and Emma L. Webb, his wife caused a mortgage to James Taylor in consideration of $272.00 to be recorded. Dated December 18, 1900. This mortgage was satisfied February 18, 1902.

Richard W. Webb and Emma L. Webb, his wife deeded the interest in the estate to George Benton February 5, 1902, in consideration of the sum of $1,000. George Benton in turn conveyed the land to George Webb for $731.25, February 12, 1902. On January 29, 1902 the six other brothers and sisters had con veyed their interest to George M. Webb for the consideration of $4,287.50. George M. Webb and Jennie Webb (husband and wife) mortgaged the land for $3,000.00 February 25, 1902 to the Chelsea Savings Bank. The mortgage was fully discharged September 10, 1931.

page 735 of "The History of Washtenaw Co., Dexter Township, Mich.

William E. Stevenson was born at Hackensack, N. J. October 23, 1831. His father, Hay Stevenson, was of Scotch birth, and emigrated to America when a young man; was married and remained in the East till 1833, when he came to Michigan with his family of 4 children, and settled on Sec 18 of Dexter tp. In this place William E. was sent to the district school, and obtained as liberal an education as it offered. On April 9, 1862 he was married to Margaret E. Southerton, but she only survived nine years after these nuptials were celebrated, leaving him childless. He married Anna C. Webb April 8, 1873. Three children are the fruits of this union -- Emma L., Anna C., William E. Mr. Stevenson owns 260 acres of land in Dexter tp, 160 acres in Oakland county also 50 acres in Grand Rapids, Mich. He is an honorable man in all his dealings, and a successful farmer. Mrs. S. is a member of the North Lake M. E. Church.

Return to Table of Contents


Richard William spent the first 31 years of his life in Michigan. He was born in Unadilla, a village first settled in 1833 when a man named Eli Ruggles of Brookfield, Massachusetts, became owner of the first farm ever purchased in Unadilla consisting of 40 acres on which he built a log house and commendced his pioneer life.

In 1833 Richard's grandfather, Archibald Marshall and family, had come to Michigan from Connecticut and taken up a farm in Unadilla. The name Unadilla comes from an Indian word meaning "Place of Meeting" and refers to the area lying to the north and east of the confluence of the Susquehanna and Unadilla Rivers in the state of New York.

We know that Richard William raised poultry and lifestock. In November 1880 he published the following notice:


Lost in this Village on Friday last, a BAY MARE 3- years old, having a left hind foot white.


Howell, Nov. 2nd 1880

From this we may assume that at least after his marriage to Emma Louise Glenn March 17, 1880, he was living and working in Howell which was the village in which Emma's parents William and Matilda Glenn lived.

Three years later Richard and Emma and Arthur, born in 1881, moved to Dakota.

Return to Table of Contents


As Recorded in "A History of Dickey County"

"...In April 1883 fifteen families of Michigan people arrived in Ellendale to make their homes. They reached Ellendale on a cold stormy night about midnight, and as the one boarding house was overcrowded all of them had to stay in the little depot until morning... They found the new country different from their Michigan home in many ways. Water was scarce and it was hard to get good wells. Prairie fires in summer and blizzards in winter gave them rather unpleasant variety.

"In April 1883 Mrs. Van Valkenburg asked Miss Eliza Taylor, (Mrs. Herbert) to write to Reverend Mr. Haire of Sioux Falls, telling him of the new settlement and asking that a minister be sent to this place. So Rev. Hartsough came and held services in the new Milwaukee depot. Rev. Hartsough at that time read and sang the popular hymn, "I Hear Thy Welcome Voice", which he had just composed and set to music. At the time of these services there were many families living in tents and shanties along the rail road track waiting until weather and roads permitted them to move out to the claims they had selected, among these being Wm. Taylor and Walter and Richard Webb. These services at the depot were the beginning of the Methodist Church in Ellendale.

"Congressional Township 123-65 was settled in its eastern part in the early days of 1883, before the survey of the government was completed. Its interests and history were closely bound up with those of other towns in the vicinity. According to the Atlas of 1886 it had no independent organization up to that time, but later was the center of a township eighteen miles long east and west and six miles north and south. This great township was known as Merricourt. The hills of the Missouri coteau come into the western part of what is now Young Township and make a sharp distinction in the character of the farming carried on on the alluvial flats and on the hills where pasture is the surest and most profitable method of managing the soil. The "Merricourt Valley" as the broad strip of land at the base of the coteau is called, is some of the best farming land in the country.

"When the Milwaukee Railroad had run its survey up into the county and the construction had stopped three miles north of where Ellendale is now located the scouting party had set two lines of stakes beyond their grading. One of these lines went up to the neighborhood of Keystone, and the other let off northwest to about where the village of Merricourt is now located.

"When the Michigan party of which the Webb brothers were a part came out in 1883 they followed the line of stakes to the north west and located on the flats below the coteaus. As the township lines had been run they could find their locations nearly enough for homesteading purposes, and they "squatted" around the corner made by townships 131 and 132 with ranges 64 and 65. Walter A.(sic) Webb located on Section 36, in range 65, and his brother Richard on Section 30 over in range 64. C. M. Glenn took a homestead in Section 31, just south of Richard Webb, E. A. Swee ney located on the southwest of Section 26. Mrs. Glenn and Mrs. Sweeney were sisters of the Webbs, and another sister was Mrs. J. G. Hyde whose location at first was in Grand Valley township but later on Section 19, north of Richard Webb's. Mrs. Emma B. Clark, a sister of Mrs. Walter Webb had her home on the southwest quarter of Section 36.

"Other families living in this township in the early days were the Mann, the Jones, and the Young families.... The Milwaukee (railroad) extension never reached Merricourt, but the Soo had built over to the Milwaukee line south of Monango where it stopped for about four years; then in 1891 it built into the Webb neighborhood and the village of Merricourt began. The terminus of the road was here for some two years, when the line was ex tended to Kulm. The climb into the hills necessitated an easy grade so the Soo built directly through Merricourt for two miles then took a northwesterly direction to leave the township on the north line of Section 5.

"Quite a lively little village grew up at the end of the track on the Webb property (Walter A.). Mr. Webb platted a townsite and held a sale of lots in1892. Being a man of high principles and wishing to have a good clean town, Mr. Webb placed in his deeds clauses to the effect that there was to be no liquor nor card playing on any of these properties. Merricourt never had an open saloon.

"The town had an extensive trade as it was the nearest railroad point for many miles to the west, some of the people coming as far as fifty miles with their loads of grain, and so many of them that they sometimes had to wait for days for an opportunity to unload. When the railroad moved on to Kulm, that town drew the trade and grain from a large territory around it, but Merricourt held a good business for years and has always been an important shipping point for livestock as well as grain.

"Mr. Walter Webb took a large share in building up the village. He organized the Merricourt Grain and Produce Company, and had an interest in the hotel that was built on the northwest corner of the principal street crossing. Mr. Webb built the brick elevator in 1908.

"The first boy born in Merricourt was the son of Louis Slosson, and Mr. Webb gave him a lot in town in honor of the event.

"Walter Webb added to his homestead and pre- emption holdings by purchase and built up a large farm. His son George T. Webb, was a small boy when the family came to this county, and he used to picket the oxen on the prairie in the old days of breaking; his people had no horses until later times. George Webb secured his education at the University of Minnesota, graduating from the law school of that University. He practiced law in Ellendale and served as State's Attorney of Dickey County. Later he took over the management of the large farm, making it a real plantation for the growing of grain and the raising and feeding of livestock. The father and he took active part in the business life of the town, having an interest in the brick elevator, in mercantile enterprises, and in the bank. Walter Webb built a beautiful California bungalow in Ellendale and made his home there until his death in 1925.

George Webb served on several important commissions in North Dakota, and was employed to market the State Bonds in 1922. From his acquaintance in the East he was employed by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers' Bank in Cleveland, Ohio, soon rose to be its Vice- President, and has proved himself adept in the business life of that city and in New York.

The former holding of the Merricourt farm have been disposed of with the exception of the old family home in Merricourt, and Mr. George Webb still has a controlling interest in the Bank there (1930).

"Mr. Richard Webb established his home on the southwest of Section 30 and built up a good sized farm. Later he removed his family to Ellendale where he gave his children Arthur and Irene a good education in the State Manual Training School. The home farm was operated for some years by the son, Arthur, an enter prising and well trained mechanic and business man who applied business principles to his farming. While not advertising any model farm he maintained an excellent example of what good judg ment, trained ability, and hard work could accomplish in making a real home and a self- supporting business on the land.

His wife was Florence Van Meter, who like her husband was trained in the technical knowledge of a Home Economics course at the State School. Mrs. Webb died in 1918 and a few years after that the farm was sold and the family of Richard Webb, including Arthur and Irene located in California. The farm came back on default of payment but has been managed by local parties. Arthur Webb has found his technical training very useful in the new location.

"The Glenn family came into possession of Section 31 and Mr. C. M. Glenn built up a fine country place just at the extension of the road east from Merricourt. An artistic sign over the drive way to the house told the passing traveler that this place as Glendale. When advancing years made it difficult for Mr. Glenn to carry on the farm work, his son Charles and his wife, Elsie Bailey Glenn from Richland County, took charge of the home farm and for several years carried on the work of the father. The home was not only one of beauty from without but exemplified the beauty and worth of the typical American home of the better class. In the time of good prices at the close of the World Was Glendale was sold and the Glenn family went west."

Return to Table of Contents



Richard William Webb born 12-22-1852 at Unadilla, Michigan, died 3-8-1932 at Lindsay, California, married 3-17-1880 at North Lake, Dexter township, Washtenaw Co., Michigan to Emma Louise Glenn, born 6-28-1862 at North Lake, Michigan, died 10-25-1926 at Lindsay, California.

Their Children:

    1. Arthur William Webb, born 12-2-1881 at Howell, Livingston County, Michigan, died 3-23-1944 at Long Beach, California.
    2. Lulu Matilda (Hagge), born 8-2--1883 at Merricourt, Dickey County, North Dakota, died ------- at Sacramento, California.
    3. Clarence Richard Webb, born 10-26-1889 at Merricourt, North Dakota, died 5-5-1894 at Merricourt, North Dakota.
    4. Irene Marie Webb (Frasher) born 11-29-1893 at Merricourt, North Dakota, died ------- at Lindsay, California.
    5. Edward Glenn Webb, born 10-1-1901 at Merricourt, North Dakota, died -----at Visalia, California.


  • 1. Arthur William Webb married 11-17-1909 at Ellendale, Dickey County, North Dakota, to Florence Edna Van Meter, born 12-26-1885, died 10-30-1918 at Merricourt, North Dakota..
  •  Their Children:
    • Weston Lynn Webb born 1-24-1912 at Merricourt, North Dakota, married 2-4-1938 at Reno, Nevada, to Esther Ann Kammruth, born 8-2-1911 at Anaheim, California, died 195- at Duarte, California.
  • Their Children:
  • Gary Lynn Webb died at birth 10-2-1941 at Long Beach, California.

    Lynda Ann Webb born 7-9-1944.

    • Geneva Emma Webb, born 4-10-1914 at Merricourt, North Dakota, married 10-26-1937 at Long Beach, California, to Walter Hans Rueckheim, born 1-12-1913.
  • Their Children:
  • Arthur Edward Rueckheim, born 2-5-1939 at Long Beach, California.

    Annette Louise Rueckheim, born 9-18-19441 at Long Beach, California

    Trudy Lynn Rueckheim, born 8-12-1943 at Long Beach, California

  • Married (secondly) 6-22-1921 at Ontario, California, to Letitia Millsaps, born 9-26-1888 at Hailey, Idaho. A daughter, Mary May Webb died at birth, 9-12-1922.

  • 2. Lulu Matilda Webb married 10-15-1913 at Ellendale, Dickey County, North Dakota, to Carl Dudlef Hagge, born 3-5-1884 in Iowa, died .... at Sacramento, California.
  •  Their Children:
    • Dorothy Louise Hagge born 10-26-1914 at Ellendale, North Dakota, married 9-20-1942, to Lloyd Francis Bruno. Divorced.
    • Howard Richard Hagge, born 12-3-1916 at Jamestown, North Dakota, married 8-7-1937 at Sacramento, California, to Charlotte Jeanne Garvey, born 2-20-1920.
  • Their Child:
  • Howard Richard Hagge, born 9-4-1945.

  • 3. Irene Marie Webb married 6-29-1926 at Lindsay, California to Lawrence Henry Frasher born 4-18-1891 at Barnesville, Belmont County, Ohio.
  •  Their Child:
    • Janice Laurene Frasher born 7-2-1932 at Lindsay, California, married 6-19-1954 to Wayne Robinson Woodruff, born 9-8-1931.
  • No children.

  • 3. Edward Glenn Webb, born 10-1-1901 at Ellendale, North Dakota, married 4-30-1924 at Lindsay, California to Eda Levina Larson , born 6-28-1902.
  • Their Children:
      • Emma Ann Webb born 1926 at Lindsay, California, lived 2 weeks.
      • Wanda Lu Webb born 5-9-1928 at Tulare, California, married 6-29-1950 at Reno, Nevada, to Ralph V. English, born 5-30-1928 at Lindsay, California, the son of William and Hazel English of Lindsay, California..
      • Richard Edward Webb, born 15-7-1930 at Tulare, California, married 9-4-1954 at Christ Church, Weems, Virginia to Virginia Dix McGinnes, the daughter of Thomas Dix and Aileen Poole McGinnes of Irvington, Virginia. Divorced 1995.
      • Celia Irene Webb born 9-18-1937 at Lindsay, California, married Ralph W. Dudley.
      • George James Webb born 11-21-1938 at Lindsay, California, married Lana Lee Bullock.
  • Sharon Eda Webb, born 9-16-1946, at Lindsay, California, married John Ball. Divorced.


    Material from the "General Services Administration", National Archives and Records Service, Washington, D.C., August 30, 1955.

    (Official transcripts on file with Richard E. Webb)


  • Third Census of the United States, 1810, Population Schedules, New York, Volume 15, Seneca County, Page marked 184-277, 185-278 (RG 29)

    Seventh Census of the United States, 1850, Population Schedules, Michigan, Volume 10, Washtenaw County, Pages 311, 519 (RG 29)

    Seventh Census of the United States, 1850, Population Schedules, Michigan, Volume 6, Livingston County, Pages 740, 742 (RG 29)

    Eighth Census of the United States, 1860, Population Schedules, Wisconsin, Volume 17, Sheboygan County, Page 287 (RG 29)

    Eighth Census of the United States, 1860, Population Schedules, Michigan, Volume 12, Livingston County, Page 20 (RG 29)

    Ninth Census of the United States, 1870, Population Schedules, Wisconsin, Volume 23, Sheboygan county, Reverse of page 222 (RG 29)

    Ninth Census of the United States, 1870, Population Schedules, Michigan, Volume 26, Washtenaw County, Page 157, reverse of page 157 (RG 29)

    Return to Table of Contents


  • Newspaper Clippings (The article below was written for the local Michigan newspaper by Emma Louise's father, W. H. Glenn, during a visit to North Dakota in 1906)

    IN NORTH DAKOTA, Merricourt, N.D., August 17, 1906.>

    The party consisting of W. H. Glenn and wife, George Webb and family, R Whalian and E. L. Glenn and family arrived in Merricourt, North Dakota, on Thursday evening, August 16. One day was spent by the party in Minneapolis, and one day and night in Hankinson on account of train connections. The party left Min neapolis before the great parade of the G.A.R. took place, on account of the intense heat and the large crowd.

    After leaving Minnesota City, we soon ran into Traverse county and began to miss the trees, the only ones visible being some planted on the tree claims, the wind breaks around the farm houses and barns, which are small.

    Ducks and plover could be seen from the cars, and occasionally snipes were visible. Farther on the journey we could see coveys of prairie chickens that will soon be too fat to get away from their present feed grounds and the hunters, as there are acres upon acres of wheat, barley, oaks and flax for them to feed upon. The farther we went to the west, the greater became the fields of grain, until the whole country seemed to be one large plantation of golden grain. In fact, unless a person has seen these large fields, it is almost impossible to believe that the northwest is one of the best grain producing sections of this country.

    The first thing we heard in the morning after our arrival was the hum of the grain headers and the harvesters, which is kipt up from daylight until darkness. There is a shortage of help here. The grain is placed in shocks, and left standing in the fields until it is threshed. Many of the farmers have threshing outfits of their own.

    R. W. Webb, a former resident of North Lake, informs me that his threshing bill will reach $2,000, and W. J. Webb will have a larger threshing bill to pay. C. Glenn has a fine crop, in fact as good as I have seen in this part of North Dakota.

    R. W. Webb is having a well put down and expects to have to go to a depth of fifteen hundred feet or more before he reaches water, which, when found in this section, is always of a strong flow and pure. The surface wells in this section are as good as the drug store of an old time doctor, as we have had many doses from both and know what the results were.

    W. E. Stevenson, Jr., arrived here twelve hours ahead of our party. After three weeks of harvesting, the men and teams working twelve hours per day, the wheat harvest is nearing completion. This will be followed with the oat and flax harvest. The the thresh ers will begin their work, which will take up the time until midwinter.

    The grain growers take their grain from the threshing machines to the elevators. The boxes of the wagons hold eighty bushels each, and it requires from ten to twelve teams to keep up with the threshers. An ordinary threshing outfit turns out about 1,500 bushels of wheat and some 3,000 bushels of barley or oats per day.

    W. H. Glenn.


    On Wednesday last in the presence of about thirty immediate rela tives and friends, at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Webb, occurred an event of great interest to a wide circle of friends -- the marriage of Miss Lulu Webb and Mr. Carl D. Hagge.

    The spacious residence was beautifully decorated for the occasion with white carnations and potted ferns and in the dining room an abundance of autumn leaves added a note of gorgeous color. The living room was festooned with garlands of creeping pine, brought from Michigan for the occasion which the arch under which the vows were spoken was effectively entwined with the same beautiful foliage.

    To the strains of the Wedding March, played by Mrs. A. W. Webb, the bride and groom entered the room and took their places under neath the arch where Rev. W. J. Hall performed the simple and ever impressive ring ceremony.

    Following the ceremony an informal reception was held, after which an elaborate and daintily appointed buffet luncheon was served.

    The bridal gown was an exquisite creation of lustrous crepe meteor and embroidered chiffon, trimmed with Duchesse lace. The mother of the bride wore black grenadine over apricot satin. The happily wedded pair were driven by auto to Frederick, where they boarded the Milwaukee train for Iowa and Chicago for a brief visit with relatives and friends. Numerous beautiful and costly presents from far and near testi fied to the esteem in which the young people are held. Among them were several cheques for substantial amounts, including one from the parents of the bride of such goodly proportions that it ought to go a long way toward enabling them to "live happy ever after."

    Mr. Hagge has held a responsible position with the Phoenix Lumber Company of this city for two years and is highly esteemed by all who know him. Mrs. Hagge has spent most of her girlhood in Ellendale, where she has been prominent in educational and society circles and her many friends are rejoicing that her marriage is not to take her from their midst.

    Mr. and Mrs. Hagge will go to housekeeping in their new home on Fourth St. where they will be at home to their friends after December first.

    FOUND DEAD IN BED: MRS. R. W. WEBB IS CLAIMED BY DEATH from the "Lindsay Gazette"

    Following a period of four years' illness, Mrs. Emma Louise Webb, 62, passed away at her home early Monday morning, October 25, 1926, while she slept. The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church Wednesday afternoon with Dr. E. B. Newcomb in charge. Lindsay chapter, O.E.S conducted the beautiful burial service of the order at Olive cemetery.

    Mrs. Irene Frasher, daughter of Mrs. Webb, arising at about six o'clock Monday morning, went to the door of her mother's room and thinking her asleep quietly closed the door that she be not disturbed. Some time later going into the room, Mrs. Frasher learned that death had touched the still form.

    Emma Louise Glenn was born at North Lake, Michigan, on June 28, 1862. At that place on March 17, 1880 she was united in marriage to Richard W. Webb. Several years after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Webb went to North Dakota and took up a homestead. They acquired large property holdings during a long residence there and nine years ago came to Lindsay to reside.

    During her residence in Lindsay Mrs. Webb made many friends. She was a woman of high ideals, gracious manner and was a true friend. She took an active part in the Order of Eastern Star, was a member of the Presbyterian church and of the Lindsay Woman's club.

    Until four years ago, Mrs. Webb enjoyed good health; she then became afflicted with serious heart trouble and was never in good health since. Throughout the period of enfeebled health she received every care and attention that her devoted family could bestow upon her. She had been confined to her bed for the five weeks preceding her passing.

    Mrs. Webb was the mother of five children, one dying in early childhood. Four remain with the husband to grieve the departure of a wonderful wife and mother. They are R. W. Webb, the husband; two daughters, Mrs. C. D. Hagge of Sacramento, Mrs. L. H. Frasher of Lindsay; and two sons, Arthur of Long Beach, and Edward of Lindsay.

    LAID TO LAST REST THURSDAY - R. W. Webb Passes Away at Home West of Lindsay After Long IllnessRichard William Webb, aged 79, passed away last Tuesday evening at his home west of Lindsay, after a prolonged illness during which he had been confined to his bed for many months. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon, at the Presbyterian church, with Rev. A. B. Carr officiating. A Masonic service was said at the grave. Guy Webb was in charge of arrangements.

    Mr. Webb had been a resident of Lindsay for the past 16 years, coming here from North Dakota, where in the early days he had homesteaded land. He became an extensive grower of wheat in North Dakota before he came to California. He purchased the property on which he made his home this past year 20 years ago, when it was bare land, and four years later came to Lindsay and planted the place to orange trees. He made his home in Lindsay for several years, moving out to the ranch last year. He was a native of Michigan. Surviving Mr. Webb are two sons, Edward G. Webb of Lindsay and A. W. Webb of Long Beach, two daughters, Mrs. Irene Frasher of Lindsay and Mrs. C. B. Hagge of Sacramento; one brother, Geo. M. Webb of Gregory, Mich. and three sisters; Mrs. Cm M. Glenn of Lindsay, Mrs. E. G. Sweeney of Long Beach and Mrs. Charles Pratt of Gregory.


    The Webb Family Bible in the possession of Richard Edward Webb (1997)is inscribed as follows:


    The Bible contains wedding pictures of Richard and Emma and Arthur and Lulu as children in the Portraits section at the back and he Family Record section contains the following information:

    Richard W. Webb born in Unadilla, Mich., Dec 22, 1852, died March 8, 1932, married Mar 17, 1880 to Emma L. Webb, born in Dexter Mich., June 28, 1862, died Oct 25, 1926.

    Arthur W. Webb born in Howell, Mich., Dec. 2, 1881, married Nov 17, 1909 and died March 23,1944.

    Lulu M. Webb born in Merricourt, N. Dakota Aug 20, 1883, married Oct 15, 1913 and died Sept 14, 1965.

    Clarence R. Webb born in Merricourt N. Dakota Oct 26, 1889, died May 5, 1894.

    Irene M. Webb, born in Merricourt, N. Dakota Nov 29, 1893, married June 29, 1926 and died ........ (incomplete)

    Edward G. Webb born in Merricourt, N. Dakota Oct 1, 1901, married April 30, 1924 (incomplete)

    Return to Table of Contents


    by Auntie Lu

    Richard William Webb was born in Unadilla, Michigan, December 22, 1852, and married Emma Louise Glenn on March 17, 1880. Emma was born in Dexter, Michigan, on June 28, 1862. After a honeymoon spent in Atlantic City, New Jersey and Boston, Massachusetts, they returned to Howell, Michigan, to make their home. It was there on December 2, 1881, that their son Arthur William was born.

    In the Spring of 1883 Richard and his elder brother, Walter, decided to go West and take up homesteads on free government land that was being opened to settlers in the Territory of Dakota. The homestead consisted of 160 acres. A little later Tree Claims were available free providing a certain number of acres were planted to trees. Very few if any of the trees survived the severe winters.

    Richard procured an emigrant car (railroad car) into which he put all their household effects, machinery, seed, a team of horses, a cow and some chickens. He shipped the car to the end of the Railroad which was then at Ellendale, Dakota. Several times a day enroute, when the train would stop, Richard went to his car to see that the animals were all right and to feed and water them. On one such occasion he saw a pair of feet protruding from some machinery and found the owner to be a Negro whom he had employed in Michigan and who wanted to come West too, but was told he could not come in the car. But, there he was and a long way from Michigan so Richard paid his fare and he came along.

    The brothers took up their claims about twenty-five miles north west of Ellendale on a flat prairie near the foot of a range of low hills. The prairie was covered with the bleached bones of Buffalo. The Buffalo had been killed by hunters from the East who wanted only their tongues and hides. The hides made beauti ful coats. Richard gathered many tons of the bones and shipped them East where they had a ready market as fertilizer.

    The first task was to put up a temporary shelter as the weather was still cold. It was a sod shanty which was warm and served until the house could be built. Even after the house was built, sod was put around as high as the window sills and sometimes on the windward side as high as the eaves. In the Spring the sod was taken away.

    Then, there was plowing to be done if there were to be any crop that year. The soil proved to be very fertile and grain and garden grew surprisingly well. In May of the same year Emma came accompanied by her small son and Richard's sister Margaret who made her home with them for eight years. On August 20 of that year, a daughter, Lulu Matilda, was born.

    On June 10 1888, was the worst blizzard ever recorded. A neigh bor said, "I went to the door and looked out and I thought, "It's a fine night, clear and bright and cold", but behold the door came shut with a bang and there was a blizzard." The storm raged for several days, the drifting snow so thick and high that the barns were not visible. Some settlers did not go to their barns on e day at all. Emma insisted Richard tie a rope around his waist so that in case he could not find the barn he could follow the rope back to the house. To lose one's way meant to lose one's life.

    The winter of 1888 and 89 Richard took his family back to Michi gan for a visit. On October 26, 1889, a second son, Clarence Richard, was born. Each year more acres were bought and put into crop. New buildings were erected as the animals were increasing as well as the family.

    In the Spring of 1890 Richard's sister Jennie and her husband Charles Mahlon Glenn (a cousin of Emma's) and their two children, Charles and Maud, came to Dakota. For the first six weeks they lived with Richard and family while their house was being built a half mile east of the Webb farm.

    The next year 1891 the Minneapolis, St. Paul, Sault Ste. Marie Railroad extended their line within half a mile of the Richard Webb farm as far as the small settlement of Kulm which was com posed mostly of Russians. The Railroad built a Depot and Section House and a Minnesota grain company put in a large grain eleva tor. Many of the farmers sold their grain to the Elevator Co., but many farmers put their grain directly into freight cars for shipment to the Mills.

    Richard's youngest sister, Lucy, and Elmer Sweeney were married in Michigan in the Spring of 1892 and came to Dakota. They also took up land. Now there were five families of Webbs owning about 5,000 acres of adjoining farms, of which Richard owned 1,450 acres, most of which was under cultivation. Rainfall was usually plentiful enough to produce a crop, if it came at the right time. There were, however, many hazards such as grasshoppers that would come in such hoards that they cut down a field of grain as though it had been cut with a scythe.. Or maybe a field would be ripe and ready to cut and a hail storm would lay it flat, usually a total loss. Or rust would form on the stalk and the heads would not fill, or maybe it was a three days' hot wind from Kansas that was like heat coming off a fire and would just cook everything. Therefore, some were lean years and some bountiful enough to keep the farmers' courage high.

    By 1892 there were enough children of school age, so a school house was built in the little town of Merricourt, three quarters of a mile from the Webb farm.

    On November 29, 1893, a second daughter, Irene Marie, was born. She was six months old when an epidemic of Scarlet Fever broke out in the neighborhood and several children died, including Clarence (brother) who was then 4 1/2 years old. He was buried near the home and later moved to the cemetery in Ellendale.

    There was great rejoicing on the farm when the new house was built. It as a large "T" shaped, two-story structure containing nine rooms with long covered porches on three sides. Many neigh borhood gatherings were held in those spacious rooms.

    Schooling became quite a problem as there was no teaching in Merricourt above the 8th grade at that time. So Arthur and Lulu 17 were sent to Ellendale in 1899 to attend the new Manual Training and Industrial School that had been located there in 1898. The school offered an accredited High School Diploma besides courses in Manual Training and Drawing, Domestic Science and Art and a Fine Arts course. There were only 12 graduates in the class of 1902.

    On October 1, 1901, a third son, Edward Glenn, was born.

    The water for all purposes was obtained from shallow wells dug about 30 to 40 feet deep and 4 x 4 feet in width and cased up with boards so it would not cave in. In most instances the water was very hard containing a lot of alkali and minerals.

    The summer of 1906 was indeed a hectic one on the Webb farm. The harvest was in full swing with two complete header crews which consisted of two headers that cut and elevated the grain into racks mounted on wagons drawn by a team of horses. It took five men to operate one header and two racks. At the same time the well drillers were putting down an artesian well. They drilled day and night which meant a meal at midnight. At a depth of about 1,500 feet they struck a good strong flow of water. There were three families of relatives out from Michigan at the same time making a total of 26 in the family for about six weeks.

    In September Arthur returned to the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks, where he was taking a course in Electrical Engineering, and from which he graduated in 1907. Richard bought a house in Ellendale in March 1907. The winter of 1907 and 1908 the Webb family spent in Long Beach, California. The Pasadena Rose Parade was a spectacle long to be remembered. On November 17, 1909 Arthur was married to Florence Edna Van Meter at her home in Ellendale. After a visit to the East Coast they lived in the Webb home while Richard and family were again wintering in California. In the Spring Arthur and Florence moved to the farm where Arthur operated the farm until Florence's death on October 30, 1918. Irene went to Merricourt to live with Arthur and help him with the care of his tow children, Weston Lynn, born January 24, 1912, and Geneva Emma, born April 10 1914.

    On October 15, 1913, Lulu was married to Carl Hagge and to them two children were born, Dorothy Louise, October 26, 1914, and Howard Richard, December 4,1916. In August of 1916 Richard came to California to work the soil and plant orange trees on land he had bought a few years previously at Lindsay, California. Emma and Edward followed in December 1916.

    After Florence's death Arthur left the farm which was sold in the Fall of 1919. Arthur, Irene and the children came to California and located at Ontario. There Arthur met and married Letitia Milsop and a year or two later moved to Long Beach where they lived until his death on March 23, 1944. The Hagge's, Carl and Lulu and the children came to Southern California in May 1924 and in 1925 moved to Sacramento. On August 7, 1937 Howard was married to Charlotte Jeanne Garvey of Fresno. To them one son, Howard Richard, Jr. was born on Septem ber 4, 1945.

    June 29, 1926, Irene was married to Lawrence Frasher at her home in Lindsay. To them one daughter Janice Laurene was born on July 2, 1932.

    Lulu Matilda Webb Hagge - 1967

    Return to Table of Contents



    I was born November 29, 1893, near the little town of Merricourt, North Dakota. That day was the day before Thanksgiving that year, and the family were invited to Aunt Jennie Glenn’s for dinner. Mother and I didn’t attend, needless to day.

    We lived in the old house then and snow came in through the cracks, snow on the window sills and sometimes on the beds. When the snow and blizzards were real bad, there was always a rope connecting the house and barn, as a guide for Dad to get back and forth by. A shovel was kept in the house because sometimes snow was up against the door. The building of the new house was an event for me, I saw most of the nails that went into the building and Mother said "I talked the arm off the carpenter", a Mr. John Taylor. In November 1897 Grandfather Webb in Michigan died and Dad went there for the funeral. Along here sometime we moved into the new house, either 1897 or 98, as I was about four years old. It was an ell-shaped house, large kitchen, dining room, living room and one bedroom downstairs, and four upstairs besides one over the kitchen with a separate stairs—this had three beds in it for the hired men. Later a separate men’s house was built which held four or five beds. These I helped take care of and also kept the kerosene lamps clean for a fee.

    When I was six I had whooping cough which hung on a long time. The Doctor finally advised Mother to take me to another climate; so one summer we went to Michigan to Grandfather Glenn’s. We were there all summer and I recovered from the whooping cough.

    Then on October 1, 1901, a little red faced stranger came to our house to live. From then on I asked my Dad not to call me baby any more. Then 'Johnny' became one of my names. Lulu and I took a great deal of care of this little one who wasn’t a stranger to us very long. I was eight years old soon after that.

    Our older brother, Arthur (to him I was 'Bob', was a wonderful pal to me. During seeding time or whenever possible he took me along on the tools. When the grain began to ripen, gophers were a great pest; I would set traps at each end of the field to catch them, riding back and forth with Arthur. The county paid a bounty for the tails, several cents each. Some summers I did real well--once eighteen dollars. Lulu would shoot them sometimes with a twenty-two rifle. I shot a gun only once in my life, at a tin can and I’m sure I missed. Didn’t care for guns and don’t like them now either.

    One piece of land was three miles from home and when the men were working there mother cooked a hot dinner for them which I took to them with my old horse 'Beauty' and buggy. Sometimes bringing some mares tied to my horse and the back of the buggy. These horses worked only a half day as they had young colts at the barn. The farming of the 1,500 acres was all done with horses of which there were around seventy- five head.

    When I began school I had to drive three and a half miles with my horse and buggy, there being not enough children in Merricourt for a school. By the time I was a sixth grader Merricourt finally had a school and my sister Lulu taught there. After school it was my job to unharness my horse and saddle up to go round up the cattle and horses. After everyone in the neighborhood had their grain all threshed, everyone turned their stock loose. But they had to be brought home and corralled at night.

    In 1905 the big barn was built. That summer we drilled an artesian well and we boarded the drilling men. Drilling went on around the clock which called for a meal at midnight, too. Besides them there were 8 - 10 farm hands; and that same summer we had a lot of relatives from Michigan visit us--Grandfather Glenn and family, Uncle Emory Glenn, (Mother’s twin brother), and family, and the Uncle George Webbs. Part of the time there were twenty-eight for meals. We did have a hired girl during this time.

    In the winter of 1906 Dad was very ill with pneumonia--forty-two days in bed; he had a wonderful nurse who really saved his life. The doctor advised him to get off the ranch, so in February 1907 we moved to Ellendale and that Fall the whole family made their first trip to California where Dad had always dreamed of going to and getting an orange grove. Dad’s sister, Jennie Glenn, was already at Lindsay, so in the Spring of 1908 we went to Lindsay from Long Beach where we spent the winter. After much driving around in mud to the hubs of the spring wagon looking at land, Dad bought one hundred twenty (120) acres of bare land to set out to oranges. The land was along Cairns Avenue west of Lindsay.

    Arthur was looking after the North Dakota place now. Then, November 17, 1909, he married Florence Van Meter and remained on the farm.

    The winter of 1913 was the big freeze and most of the young orange trees had to be replaced. Mr. George Merrifield looked after the place; he had been an old friend and neighbor of ours at Monango, North Dakota. We spent all the winters out here from 1906-1916 when the folks moved to California.

    In June 1914 I finished Normal School at Ellendale, the next year did post graduate work and in the Fall of 1915 went to work in a store similar to what we now call variety stores.

    In the Fall of 1916 Dad went to California. The folks were making the move. In January 1917 Mother and Edward went to the coast. Arthur and family were living on the Dakota grain farm. Lulu Webb Hagge and family lived in Jamestown, North Dakota.

    During the terrible flu epidemic of 1918 Arthur’s wife, Florence, died (October 30) leaving two children, Weston, 6 and Geneva, 4 . I then gave up my work and went to the farm to help my brother with the household. The summer of 1919 the folks came out and sold the grain farm. Arthur’s family and I also came to California to live. We visited around awhile then settled in Ontario where we had old friends. He got an auto mechanics teaching job at Chaffee Junior College where we lived until he remarried, to Letitia Milsaps. Then I went to Lindsay to be with the folks where in 1923 I met the one and only and a new era begins for me.

    Irene Marie Webb Frasher April 1967

    Return to Table of Contents